Thursday, August 21, 2008

My beautiful Kate!




My middle daughter, Kate, is my fun-loving adventurous child. Hardly a child anymore, she works as a flight attendant for Skywest Airlines after getting her Bachelor's degree in Psychology from Colorado State University. She will randomly call me one day and say she is on the beach in Santa Barbara or e-mail me from Budapest with just a "hello" in their language, of course. I think she got the travel bug from me, but her passions extend far beyond mere travel. She wants to become immersed in the cultures - she truly wants to learn about the local people and experience their way of life. When she was in high school, she went on a mission trip to Ecuador and they actually stayed with a family. That trip lit the flame for her desire to help and enpower especially the youth of other countries. Then after college, she became involved in Invisible Children - visit their web site by linking to her blog. She went on a road trip - her territory was California - where they showed a film to high schools and churches. It depicted the plight that the children of Northern Uganda face in that war-torn nation. It was an effort that culminated with one of the most moving events I have experienced in my life. With her encouragement, my youngest daughter Jackie and I, talked our church into attending the Global Night Commute on April 28, 2006. We walked from the train station to Civic Center in Denver and then sang songs and wrote letter to government officials. Then we spent the night - slept in a park in downtown Denver. I lay there looking up at the stars and thought of those children in the streets of Uganda - we were all one that night. I spoke with Kate that night - she was heading up another commute in California - one of 126 cities participating. It makes me tear up just thinking about it, such a moving event, such a just cause. Someday she will make it to Africa.....she is all about making a difference....thank you, Kate, for making such a difference in my life!

No comments: